Read about Ancient Greece, the Olympic Games, the population, language, economy, Greek islands, mountains and much more.
Summer Holidays in Greece are the ultimate experiences. Why visit Greece?. The hot sun, the relaxing beaches, the marvelous nature, the rich culture and the warm hospitality will charm you from the first step in the country. There are so many islands and mainland resorts in Greece that it will take you many years to explore the entire country. Have a look on the Greek destinations by popularity. However, if you believe that Greece is only about swimming in gorgeous beaches and sightseeing, then also check other types of holidays and you will change your mind. Greece is a wonderful place to visit all year round.
- The official name of Greece is the Hellenic Republic.
- Greece is located in southeast Europe, close to both Africa and Asia.
- In 2011 the population of Greece was around 11 million.
- The capital and largest city in Greece is Athens. Other major cities include Thessaloniki, Patras and Heraklion.
- Around two thirds of the Greek population live in urban areas.
- Greek is the official language spoken in Greece.
- Greece is a member of the European Union and uses the Euro as its currency.
- Greece is a developed country with a high standard of living. Important industries include the service sector, agriculture and tourism.
- Greece is a popular tourist destination and home to over a dozen World Heritage Sites.
- Greece features thousands of islands, including destinations such as Santorini and Mykonos.
- Greece is one of the most mountainous countries in Europe.
- The highest mountain in Greece is Mount Olympus, it has over 50 peaks with the highest reaching 2917 metres (9570 feet).
- Ancient Greece is said to have laid the foundation for Western civilization, having a large influence on the Roman Empire and European culture.
- The Olympic Games originated in Ancient Greece.
- Athens most recently hosted the Summer Olympic Games in 2004.
More informations about Greece.